Friday, December 28, 2012

A pet! Which one should we get?

I decided it was time we got a pet.
We'd been married for a year, and our parents were starting to get the 'Grandkids?' look in their eyes, so we figured having something small and cute would buy us a little time. Also, I could use the practice taking care of something, because I can't even keep a plant alive for more than a week. (I need help!)
So the search began. I'm allergic to fur and feathers, which limited our choices considerably. After some thinking, I crossed fish (I already have far too many fish deaths on my conscience), turtles (had one of those in college, found out they're super smelly), hypo-allergenic dogs (did I mention fish were too complicated for me to take care of?), and kittens (I want one SO bad, but the only ones that won't send me into a sneezing fit are the hairless ones and all I can say to that is "oh hell no") off of our list.
Naturally, I turned to hedgehogs. Let me explain: Many years ago, I met a colleague's daughter who had brought her pet hedgehog to school one day. As I walked by and peeked over at it, I made a mental note that it was one of the cutest things I'd ever seen. Seriously. It looked more like a stuffed animal than a real one. And then I completely forgot about it...until now.
I grabbed my laptop and Wikipedia-ed it and who knew? They're hypoallergenic! Score! We're getting a hedgehog!

No comments:

Post a Comment